NYIC Event -Immigration Navigator Training: Defending our Rights in Our New York- BALC
For details, link here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/immigration-navigator-training-defending-our-rights-in-our-new-york-balc-tickets-31301832624
In Partnership with New York Immigration Coalition
The Immigration Navigator Training: Defending Our Rights in Our New York includes the following topics: (1) an overview of the demographics of the immigrant communities in US and NYS; (2) a review of the immigration policies in the Obama Administration and a discussion of possible ones in the Trump Administration; (3) basic immigration history; (4) a basic overview of immigration law; (5) an explanation of the Community Navigator model; (6) best practices in avoiding unauthorized practice of law and combating immigration fraud; (7) discussion of basic rights in the US, regardless of immigration status; (8) designing a family safety plan and gathering documents in the event of interactions with law enforcement (ICE, CBP, and local police); (9) fighting hate crime; and, (10) effective outreach & planning strategies.
After the completion of this training, participants will have the information and tools to provide immigrant community members with a “Know-Your-Right” training and enable them to assert their rights in the health and education systems, in their interactions with law enforcement (Immigration Custom Enforcement (ICE), Customs Border Protection (CBP), and local police). After the training, the participants will have the necessary information and tools about combating hate crimes to share with community members. The participants will also be equipped with information and tools to help community members in putting together a family safety plan in the event of immigration detention or arrest.
· 8 Hours of Professional Development hours will be credited to all participants.
· All NYC RAEN workshops are for teachers/staff of NYSED-funded adult education programs.
· NYC RAEN reserves the right to cancel or reschedule workshops with fewer than 10 participants.
· Please be sure to arrive on time. Doors close 15 minutes into the session.
· If you cannot attend the workshop, please cancel your registration on Eventbrite.
· If your program utilizes a “Time Card,” please bring a “Time Card” with you to the session. The New York City RAEN does not provide Time Cards.
Please note: This event may be recorded and photographed for non-profit purposes including use in print, on the internet, and all other forms of media. All audience members (or parents/ guardians of minors attending the event) agree to the possibility of appearing on these recordings by virtue of attending the event or participating in the event.