Representing the Pro Bono Client: New York Public Assistance and Food Stamp Eligibility 2017: Special Populations
Don Friedman – Managing Attorney, Long Island office, Empire Justice Center
Tanya E. M. Wong – Director of Government Benefits, Legal Support Unit, Legal Services NYC
Please join us for PLI’s upcoming program, Representing the Pro Bono Client: New York Public Assistance and Food Stamp Eligibility 2017: Special Populations. This free program is designed to equip advocates with a sharper understanding of the substantive law, procedures, and best practices relevant to the representation of low-income clients who seek public benefits, including members of certain special populations, such as people who are HIV/AIDS, transgender or victims of domestic violence.
New York City and Live Webcast – August 3, 2017
Key Topics Will Include:
- Strategies, procedures, and best practices relevant to the representation of low-income clients who seek public assistance
- A focus on the HIV/AIDS Services Administration (HASA)-eligible population
- Eligibility rules for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), including the rules for Able-Bodied Adults Without Dependents (ABAWD)
- Public benefits rules pertaining to victims of domestic violence
- Rules regarding transgender Medicaid recipients
- Strategies and procedures for representing clients at public benefits fair hearings and in Article 78 proceedings
As part of PLI's commitment to public service and the pro bono activities of the legal community, there is no fee to attend this program.
Credit Information: CLE and CPD Credit
Pro Bono Membership
PLI's Pro Bono Privileged Membership provides participating IRC Section 501(c)(3) organizations (including legal services, pro bono and nonprofit groups) with free access to PLI Live, Webcast or On-Demand programs without having to submit a scholarship application.
The Membership is an easy and convenient way for your organization to stay
up to date on important legal issues. For more information or to apply, please contact
Pro Bono Membership Services.
There is basic to advanced programming in all of the pro bono topics that you need, available at your convenience, from your computer, tablet or smartphone. Visit our
On-Demand Learning page and take advantage of these training tools!
A few related offerings include:
Click the links above for program descriptions and registration information!
Follow PLI's Pro Bono Group on LinkedIn and on Twitter .
To Learn More About PLI Pro Bono Activities and Scholarships, Visit Our Website at: www.pli.edu/ProBono.
Want to attend the program with your colleagues and volunteers but can't make it
in person? Schedule a PLI Groupcast to allow group viewing via Live or On-Demand Webcast in your office! Contact the Groupcasts Department via email at email@example.com